CHILE - Located in the extreme south east of South America, Chile stretches along for 4270 km, reachable by land, sea and air. The main entrance point is via the Arturo Merino Benítez Airport in Santiago. A further six international airports are located in the cities of Arica, Antofagasta, Iquique, Puerto Montt and Punta Arenas, and also on Easter Island.
By land, border crossings are shared with neighboring countries, allowing entrance to Chile from Peru via Arica, from Bolivia via Arica, Iquique and Antofagasta; and from Argentina via varios entrance points, the most regularly traversed of which are located close to La Serena, Santiago and Osorno. Entrance by sea is also possible via Chile's main ports.
Time zone: Chile's standard time is UTC -4 (with exception of Easter Island). From August to May, the country adopts the Summer Time when all clocks move forward an hour, passing to UTC -3 on Chile's mainland.
Official language: Spanish
Currency: Chilean peso
ARGENTINA - Located in the southern part of the American continent, spanning across 2.780.400 km², Argentina is the most extensive Spanish speaking country in the world and forms part of the Southern Cone alongside Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay and the south of Brazil, reachable by land, sea and air.
The main entrance point is also accessible by plane, from all of the most important cities in the world. Buenos Aires is home to two important airports. Aeroparque Jorge Newbery is located close to the riverbank at approximately five minutes from the city center and charged with receiving tourists who arrive from national destinations and neighboring countries. The Ezeiza International Airport is located approximately fifteen minutes from the center along one of the main carriageways and charged with receiving tourists who arrive from all other countries. (This airport is also equipped with taxi, bus and transfer services, 24 hours around the clock).
To access Argentina by land, there is a relatively extensive network of highways, organized in a radial fashion. Entrance by care o by long-distance bus is possible from cities located in neighboring countries, as well as from the majority of national cities located all over the country.
Time zone: Argentina's standard time is UTC -3 and in the summer, unlike Chile, no changes are made to the hour.
Official language: Spanish
Currency: Argentine peso
The city of San Carlos de Bariloche is located at 1.600 kilometers from the city of Buenos Aires. The closest airport is the International Airport of the City of San Carlos de Bariloche. Aerolíneas Argentinas, LATAM and Andes operate frequent, direct flights. Duration is 2:20 hours from Buenos Aires. The airport is located at 14 km from the center of the city.
By car or bus
A wide range of buses operate in Argentina and the majority offer services to and from Bariloche. You can choose between basic, half-bed, full-bed or executive-bed services.
If travelling by car from Buenos Aires, the journey will last around 22 hrs along the following route:
National Route Nº5 to Santa Rosa, La Pampa
Route Nº35, Route Nº152 and Route Nº20 until joining Route Nº151
Route Nº151 until joining Route Nº7, which takes you all the way to Neuquen
Route Nº22 and Route Nº237 (passing through Picún Leufú and Piedra del Águila) until joining Route Nº40
Route Nº40 to San Carlos de Bariloche
Distances to Bariloche
Bahía Blanca 1.076 km, Buenos Aires 1.640 km, 25 de mayo 572 km, Cipolletti 421 km, Comodoro Rivadavia 868 km, El Bolson 131 km, Esquel 300 km, General Roca 416 km, Las Grutas 1015 km, Neuquén 416 km, Osorno 250 km, Piedra del águila 185 km, Puerto Montt 390 km, Rawson 894 km, Rio gallegos 1.667 km, San Martin de los Andes 158 km (Paso del Córdoba), San Martin de los Andes 190 km (siete lagos), San Martin de los Andes 260 km (Rinconada), Santa Rosa 1.011 km, Temuco (Mamuil Malal) 479 km, Temuco (Puyehue) 489 km, Trelew 860 km, Viedma 845 km Villa La Angostura 83 km, Villa Traful 100 km
The most direct route to Puerto Varas is via the airport situated in Puerto Montt, the capital city of the Los Lagos Region. Daily flights are offered via LATAM, SKY or LAW to Puerto Montt from Santiago, the capital city of Chile. Duration is 1:30 hrs from Santiago. Puerto Montt's airport is located at 30 kms from the center of Puerto Varas.
By car or bus
By land, Puerto Varas is located approximately 1.000 km from Santiago and 2.300 km from Punta Arenas. From Punta Arenas travelling northwards, the journey is undertaken on the Argentine side of the border and the crossing is made to Chile via Paso Monte Aymond, situated close to the Argentine city of Río Gallegos, 192 km from Punta Arenas. There are regular, daily buses that travel from Santiago and the journey lasts around 12 hrs. In general, these buses depart at night in order to arrive early in the morning to Puerto Varas.
To make the journey between Puerto Natales and Puerto Montt, sailing across the austral channels, is a real experience and offers a different way of discovering both Chile and the surrounding natural landscapes of the Chilean Patagonia. Navimag vessels depart every Friday at 14:00 hrs and arrive to Puerto Natales on the following Monday at 15:00 hrs.
Distances to Puerto Varas
Ancud 110 km, Bariloche (Vía Puyehue, Osorno) 318 km, Castro 195 km, Cochrane 978 km, Coyhaique 654 km, Chaiten 220 km, Chile Chico 1032 km, Frutillar 25 km, Osorno 89 km, Panguipulli 231 km, Puerto Aysén 619 km, Puerto Ibañez 742 km, Puerto Montt 20 km, Puerto Natales 2.319 km (Vía carretera austral), Puerto Octay 48 km, Punta Arenas 2266 (Vía carretera austral), Santiago 996 km, Valdivia 190 km
- 21 DEC to 20 MAR
- Average temperature reaches 30º
- Hot, sunny days, with fresh evenings, the odd shower and wind
- Sunrise and sunset: 6:40 hrs. / 21:20 hrs.
- Light clothing that will protect you from the wind. It's a good idea to arrive equipped with a pair of trainers/sneakers and a jacket for the evenings.
- 21 MAR to 20 JUN
- Temperature fluctuates between 4º and 13º
- Cool, fresh days, with cold evenings and regular rainfall. Sunrise and sunset: 8:00 hrs. / 19:30 hrs.
- Waterproofs, jacket, sporting footwear.
- JUN 21 to SEP 20
- Temperatura oscila entre 5º y -5º
- Los días son fríos con precipitaciones níveas
- Salida y puesta del Sol: 08:30 hrs. / 18:40 hrs.
- Llevar un mínimo de dos capas, chaqueta y calzado deportivo.
- SEP 21 to DEC 20
- Temperatura oscila entre los 7º y los 20º
- Días un poco largos, con elevación paulatina de temperatura
- Salida y puesta del Sol: 07:15 hrs. / 19:30 hrs.
- Ropa cómoda y práctica. Se recomienda utilizar calzado deportivo y abrigo para la noche.
- Always carry sunblock, sunglasses, sun protection for lips
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Pack waterproofs and clothing to protect you from the wind
- Always carry your passport or personal identity card with you, as during the trip we will be passing through both Argentine and Chilean customs.
- Whatever kind of identity document you hold, it must be valid and in very good conditions.
- Travel is not permitted for those who only have proof of identity documents in process or those whose identification documents have expired.
- Luggage must be handed in at the beginning of the journey, for which you'll receive a luggage receipt that you will need to hand over when you recover your belongings at the final destination. For this reason, it's important to carry your identity documents and other belongings, necessary for border crossing control, in your hand luggage.
- Voltage is 220V and plug sockets are TYPE I (Argentina) and TYPE L (Chile)."
Children, toddlers and babies travelling with their parents
The parents' marriage certificate or the child's/children's birth(s) certificate
Identity card or passport (if applicable)
Children, toddlers and babies travelling with one of their parents
Notarized authorization from the parent who isn't travelling or a legal tutor, depending on the circumstances of each particular case
The child's/children's birth(s) certificate
Identity card or passport (if applicable)
Children, toddlers and babies travelling with third parties
Three copies of notarized authorization from both parents The child's/children's birth(s) certificate or the Family Record Book Identity card or passport (if applicable)